Re: Yellow Dog is excellent!

Subject: Re: Yellow Dog is excellent!
From: Scott Kellogg (scott@kiva.net)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2001 - 13:18:16 MST

You can also put a few things in ~/.bashrc to make it easier to reboot and
shutdown.

First, as root, add a line to /etc/sudoers so it looks like this:
# User privilege specification
root ALL=(ALL) ALL
your_username ALL=(ALL) ALL

Then, open up your .bashrc file (which is in your home directory) and add
these lines:

alias shutdown='sudo /sbin/shutdown -h 0'
alias reboot='sudo /sbin/shutdown -r 0'

Save and exit from .bashrc and then type:
. .bashrc

at the command line. This will reread .bashrc and make the new aliases
available to you.

When you issue the command 'shutdown', the bash interpreter will ask for
your password (not root's).

This was of doing things is probably a security risk waiting to happen, so
don't do it on a production machine. I set up my iBook like this, which
is frequently isolated from the Internet, anyway. (e.g. at the bookstore
or what have you.)

HTH,
Scott

--
In the timbers of Fennario, the wolves are runnin' round.