Newbie Questions

Subject: Newbie Questions
From: Terry Allen (hmag@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2001 - 20:46:57 MST

Hi there,
        A few months back I bought the boxed set of YDL 2.0 after
suggestions from Robert Brandtjen, who also subscribed to this list. Just
recently I found out that 2.1 was available & not being able to wait until
my local Linux shop gets the Boxed set in for 2.1, I downloaded the 2.1 ISO
& have installed it, along with Webmin 0.90 & the SSL libraries to run SSL
stuff on a 7600/200 with 128MB RAM & 18GB Seagate drive with plans to swap
this drive into the 7300/200 that is currently running as my server to
replace it once I get the config right & all the data/sites swapped over.
        To give you an idea where I'm coming from, I'm currently running
the 7300/200 with Tenon's WebTen (Apache on Mac OS) for FTP, HTTP etc... &
SIMS for a mail server. I'm really happy with WebTen & SIMS, but the speed
is becoming a bit of a problem & there are some other things that I need to
do now with this server that I can't do with WebTen.
        So, the installation of 2.1 went without a hitch as I'd already
done the install of 2.0 previously, so I wiped the drive, did a fresh
install of 2.1 (the 'Everything' option & the abovementioned software,
found that BIND didn't work properly with Webmin & changed the path
accordingly, after which it loaded secondary domains from my existing
server, disabled Anonymous FTP login & then started looking at configuring
Sendmail, but it appears that I need to do something with Webmin to get it
to work properly to edit Sendmail as some of the options don't work
correctly there either.
        So, I now have the server up & running, I have some questions if
someone would be kind enough to either post to the list or email me off
list please (all using Webmin to do the config if possible)

- When setting up users, can I simply add a user & they only have certain
things like, say just a mailbox, or only an FTP home (for site owners)?
what I mean is, I don't want all the features for all users, only some
with limited features.

- When setting up FTP for a user, can I make it so they only see what's in
their own directory? (e.g. when they log in, the top directory I set as
their login point would appear in their FTP app as '/')

- Can I set YDL 2.1 up to limit the amount of space a user can use? (e.g.
5MB - I saw the disk quota bit in Webmin but it says something like 'no
current filesystems support disk quotas')

- Is it possible to have a 'template' to set a domain name up? (e.g. preset
values for a domain name such as www, ftp, mail etc...)

- I obviously need to know how to get Webmin to configure Sendmail properly
- could someone outline what I need to do to get this running properly
under 2.1?

- In setting up Sendmail, I believe that it is set up to only relay from
the local box by default. How do I set it to relay from my network's IP
address range?

- Still on Sendmail - can I prevent a user from sending out messages to
more than say 25 addresses per email (i.e. a small business mailing list)?

        I'm really surprised at the speed of 2.1, even moreso than 2.0, I
guess because of the later Kernel & the install went like a breeze. If
anyone can suggest anything to get me moving & transferred onto YDL from my
other server even more quickly, please let me know. Many thanks for any
help given.

        Bye for now, Terry Allen
hEARd

Postal Address:
        hEARd
        c/o 128 The Entrance Rd
        The Entrance
        NSW 2261
        Australia

Internet -
        WWW:
        http://heard.com.au or http://www.ozemail.com.au/~hmag
        http://hosting.heard.com.au

Interactive Message Board - http://heard.com.au/wwwboard/

EMAIL: (checked every Thursday & Sunday, sometimes more often)
hmag@ozemail.com.au

Non profit promotion for new music
Also, check out the Educate site - http://www.educate.net.au