Re: ATI Rage 3D acceleration

Subject: Re: ATI Rage 3D acceleration
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Sat Nov 17 2001 - 06:02:38 MST

On Friday 16 November 2001 11:43, you wrote:
> On Friday 16 November 2001 01:07, you wrote:
>
> Another question for the group. What is an XFree86 DRI (direct rendering
> infrastructure) driver? I know they have something to do with openGL. How
> do I tell if the drivers are installed and working?

I get the "Blind men and the elephant" feeling when poking around with X.
there's a lot of partial information floating around. People give advice
like "Change this configuration parameter" to "that" and it will "work" on a
"my-system".

Is there anywhere a brief, coherent explanation of how X video works, what
all its pieces are, how they're related and how the entires in the
configuration files are actually used?

- Pat