Re: YDL, MacOS 9, Wrong Partition???

Subject: Re: YDL, MacOS 9, Wrong Partition???
From: Christopher Murtagh (christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca)
Date: Sat Nov 17 2001 - 09:08:52 MST

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Adam Scarcella wrote:
>I don't mean to be a pain in the neck, but I really don't know how to do
>what you suggested. I'm a Linux infant. Can you please be more
>specific.

 Not a pain at all.

>Where is this yaboot.conf file and how do I edit it? Do I use command
>line operations or can I simply open the file in a text editing app and
>change the appropriate line?

 Ok, the easiest way at the command line to do this is likely with pico
(although you should think about learning vi or emacs). To change the
yaboot.conf file you would do the following:

pico /etc/yaboot.conf

 Then change the line mentioned in the previous email. Make sure to save
before quitting. Pico is pretty simple to use and there is help built in
if you get totally lost, so you should be ok.

 afterwards you can do this:

/usr/sbin/ybin

 but you have to be the user 'root' to do so. This will write the the PRAM
pointing the boot-device to your bootloader.

>F.Y.I {On a Mac, you hold down the Option+Command+P+R keys to zap the
>PRAM}

 Yes, I know that, but you don't want to reset it, you want it to contain
info about where your bootloader is. MacOS X and YDL both change a
parameter named 'boot-device' and you need it to be pointing to your
bootloader patition (this is what ybin does, and what the Apple Startup
disk does). Holding down the option key at bootup makes the machine ignore
that parameter and look for bootable partitions.