Re: XFree86 and OpenGL

Subject: Re: XFree86 and OpenGL
From: Bo Brinkman (brinkman@cs.princeton.edu)
Date: Sat Nov 17 2001 - 12:22:53 MST

Mark Brethen wrote:

> I've been reading up on XFree86 and OpenGL. Part of the installation includes

"glx"

> # This currently kills kdm
> #Load "dri"

It depends what your system is. On my iBook 2000 SE (which has the rage
128) I had a problem because my videocard was set to "fbdev" instead of
"ati". I also use the Option "UseFBDev" because I can't seem to figure
out how to make it work without this. (If I don't add this, X doesn't
like any of my screen definitions.) I also had to change my default
depth to 16 instead of 15. After these changes, and adding the following
section at the end:

Section "DRI"
         Mode 0666
EndSection

DRI is now working great on my iBook. OpenGL is FAST, and I haven't
noticed any problems with kdm. I would be interested to see what Dan has
to say about this.

> are there problems with the "dri" module I should know about before
> "tinkering" with it?

Works here. YMMV.

--
William "Bo" Brinkman                         brinkman@cs.princeton.edu