Re: Ybin inst failure on B/W G3 Rev 1

Subject: Re: Ybin inst failure on B/W G3 Rev 1
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Nov 18 2001 - 16:40:37 MST

At 11:12 AM -0800 11/16/01, Patrick Ladam wrote:
>ThanX Tim for the infos,
>
>I spent the evening again in the dark caves of the OF, that's interesting
>thought...
>My SCSI card is a 2940 UW2 . When I do a mac-boot from OF after playing around
>it shows a black screen with the mac chime in blue and displays the following
>line:
>
>/pci@80000000/pci-bridge@d/ADPT,2940U2B@4/disk0:6,\\:tbxi
>
>then it boots correctly into MacOS. So this might be the correct
>boot-device in my case though a devalias in OF does not show that
>for my SCSI card(???). Anyway I tried from the OF to boot using

When it boots into MacOS like that, the device shown on screen is the
bootable MacOS partition OF found. So the following:

>/pci@80000000/pci-bridge@d/ADPT,2940U2B@4/disk0:6,yaboot but not ofboot.b
> as you say.

can't work because "disk0:6" specifies the disk (disk0) and partition
number (6) of your MacOS partition.

If you know what the partition number of your Linux bootstrap
partition is, try changing the 6 to that number. From your earlier
messages I think it was at partition 8 but you can also just
experiment.

An easy way to do tests in OF without changing any variables is to
use the "boot" command with a parameter:

boot /pci@80000000/pci-bridge@d/ADPT,2940U2B@4/disk0:8,yaboot

(or ofboot.b)

If OF can't find the file you specify, it will either give an error
*or* search for a bootable MacOS partition and boot that instead. So
you may end up with it booting MacOS when you try such experiments.

>This card should be bootable no? This is where my master drive is plugged if I
>understand
>correctly.

If you can boot MacOS from it you should be able to boot Linux from it.

--
Tim Seufert