Re: Ybin inst failure on B/W G3 Rev 1: SOLVED!!!!!!

Subject: Re: Ybin inst failure on B/W G3 Rev 1: SOLVED!!!!!!
From: Patrick Ladam (ladam@smbh.smbh.univ-paris13.fr)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 12:48:30 MST

Hi people,

Finally I got ybin to work on my B/W G3, I got some help from Ethan

Benson (author of yaboot) and of course from all the people here

in the mail-list that helped me to track that problem down.

Here is how I could solve this:

1) Re-initialize the PRAM (holding Alt+Apple+p+r upon reboot).

My PRAM had a few variables not correctly set (I messed them

playing too much in the OF probably...).

2) Choose (Re-choose) my startup disk with the startup-disk

control panel in MacOS. This is very important as it revives

the correct boot-device in the OF.

thanks to step 2. At this point you might check if everything

is OK by simply typing 'boot' in the OF (not mac-boot), if all

is fine it should boot MacOS. Otherwise go back to 1) and 2).

4) Now in the OF simply change the end of the boot device variable

from :\\"tbxi to ofboot.b or yaboot

see you bootstrap partition mounted on the Mac desktop. You can

then edit and change your ofboot.b and change the boot-device

parameters as required.

6) Reboot and enjoy yaboot...

I have to precise that I have a second non-bootable ADAPTEC SCSI

card for external drives. After discussion with Ethan Benson it

might be possible that ofpath (a routine in ybin) does not see

the internal SCSI card correctly because of this additional external

card. The other possibility is that my P-RAM and boot-device were

set completely wrong in the OF and ofpath got miss-guided because

of this. I have some home-work to do by Ethan to check that out

and I will keep you informed with all hardware information too

(boot-device, additional card...I don't have it with me today).

ThanX to all that gave me a helping hand!!!

Long Live TUX!!!

| Patrick LADAM | |
| Laboratoire CSSB | THE BIG BANG THEORY: |
| UFR SMBH | |
| 74 rue Marcel Cachin | In the begining there was |
| 93017 Bobigny CEDEX | nothing at all. |
| >>> NEW e-mail: <<< | |
| ladam@smbh.smbh.univ-paris13.fr | Then, it exploded... |
| Tel: 01 48 38 77 26 / 76 85 | |
| Fax: 01 48 38 77 77 | |