2.1 problems

Subject: 2.1 problems
From: Fernando Rodriguez (fernando@elec.gla.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 09:34:47 MST

I have upgraded (reinstalled) to YD-2.1 (I couldn't upgrade since proxy
support is not included with the upgrade utility). There are a couple of
problems of issues with YDL2.1 which are as follow:

the glibc development library is broken; that is the file
-glibc-devel-2.2.1.rpm (I can't remember the exact m name) is broken; rpm
complains about an MD% invalid checksum. This problem has been reported
previously, and the advice was to download the current file available from
the ftp site. I did that and unfortunately that file is also broken. To
solve this I reinstalled the same library from YDL2.0; however this is a
nuisance. (Anything you try to compile before installing this library will
break).

- gdm is also broken. The logs get filled with somehting like:

gdm_auth_user_remove: /home/username is not owned by uid 0.
gdm_auth_user_remove: Ignoring suspiciously looking file
/home/username/.Xauthority

I tried deleting the .Xauthority file to no use. Furthermore gdm was not
shutting the computer down properly (it crash and restarts when told to
shutdown), and I had to login twice some times, since the first session dies.

I solved this by downloading the latest version of gdm, and compiling it
myself, removing the old rpm (rpm -e gdm), and installing the new one. I
still got some errors when exiting a KDE session where the mouse would die,
and the X session would do so as well. I solved this by selecting "restart X
server every time" option in the gdm configurator. Now it works like a charm!

- The installer failed to recognize my bootloader partition, and got confused
with my swap partition. This was very weird, and the only reason I was able
to boot was because the bootloader from KDE2.0 was already there. When I
first boot into 2.1 there was no swap; I had to edit /etc/fstab and also
/etc/yaboot.conf and run ybin. That solved the problem.

To finish this mail, here are a few suggestions for the development team
(which by the way should be congratulated!!! Well done guys!!!):

- integrate lyx into the applications(it's great!!!)
- Proxy suport in yup (why not use wget?)
- Ext3 support in the intsller

Regards,

Fernando Rodriguez