Re: Linux software on YDL - FrameMaker 5.5.6 beta

Subject: Re: Linux software on YDL - FrameMaker 5.5.6 beta
From: dano (dano@well.com)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 22:05:15 MST

At 8:15 PM -0500 on 11/19/01, nathan r. hruby wrote:
>On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Nathan A. McQuillen wrote:
>
>> Yes, they released an x86 RedHat binary. To my knowledge they never
>> released the source code (Adobe? Open their code? Hehehhh...), so that's
>> pretty much that, unless you wanted to try to run it in emulation... :P
>>

>No, the source was never released and the port was dropped offically by
>Adobe claiming lack of intrest by the Linux community. It perhaps would
>have fared better if they had used a non Tk interface (Qt or GTK+) and the
>damn thing didn't cost so much.
>
>I still don't get the point of spending all that cash for an SGML editor.
>Perhaps someone can enlighten me as to the benifts of FrameMaker?

The best desktop publisher in computing. Quark and PageMaker can do
magazines and catalogs, but for books or big complex projects, Frame
is the way to go. Virtually all technical writing (including computer
manuals) is done in Frame (aka Framemaker).

Like most of their products, Adobe bought Frame as an already mature
but little-known product. Unlike most of the products they bought
though, this one - Frame - came from unix originally. It actually ran
primarily on unix (Irix iirc) and secondarily Mac when it was owned
by Frame; Abode ported it to Windows.

Many people would like to see it on linux (including this writer),
but waiting for Adobe to port to linux is like waiting for Microsoft
to port to linux.

--
If the government wants us to obey the law,