YDL 2.1 Installer: No Harddisks Found

Subject: YDL 2.1 Installer: No Harddisks Found
From: Geert Janssens (geert.janssens3@pandora.be)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 09:00:53 MST

Hello,

I tried to install YDL 2.1 on a beige G3/233 (Rev. 1), but am stuck now.
Although I did already experiment a bit with LinuxPPC before, I still
consider myself a newbie.

Here's what I did:

I started with downloading the YDL 2.1 iso, and burning it on a Win2K
machine with PlexTools to a CD-RW. I also tried to burn it to a CD-R,
but that was never readable on my Mac.

The CD-RW seems not to be bootable, so I manually installed BootX, and
rebooted. In the BootX screen I selected the X-based ramdisk that got
installed in my system folder, and booted into Linux.

The GUI installer comes up, and I choose a custom installation. I can
select the keyboard, mouse, and installation method.

The when I select the Disk Partitioning step, the installer displays the
error message mentioned in the subject already: No Harddisks found.

When I try to skip the step, the next one fails, and offers me to show
the Python debugger.

I also tried the Text based installer, or using kernel 2.2.x. All return
the same results.

For completeness, here follows my partition map (from pdisk):

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/hda'
 #: type name length base ( size )
 1: Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1
 2: Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh 54 @ 64
 3: Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh 74 @ 118
 4: Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh 512 @ 192
 5: Apple_Patches Patch Partition 512 @ 704
 6: Apple_HFS MacOS 7340032 @ 1216 ( 3.5G)
 7: Apple_HFS Misc 6266880 @ 7341248 ( 3.0G)
 8: Apple_HFS Virtual PC 4403200 @ 13608128 ( 2.1G)
 9: Apple_HFS Virtual PC II 4194304 @ 18011328 ( 2.0G)
10: Apple_Free Extra 17646128 @ 22205632 ( 8.4G)

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=39851759 (19.0G)
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
Drivers-
1: @ 64 for 21, type=0x701
2: @ 118 for 34, type=0xf8ff

Any clue anybody as to what might be wrong ?

Thank you,
Geert Janssens