Re: YDL 2.1 Over LinuxPPC Problems

Subject: Re: YDL 2.1 Over LinuxPPC Problems
From: Terry Allen (hmag@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 01:20:04 MST

>I had LinuxPPC installed, so my hard drive was all partitioned. (I
>have one drive with the Mac OS, and a second one that has an HFS+
>partition, an HFS partition, a swap and root partition).
>The problem is that I have tried to install and the YDL 2.1 installer
>keeps crashing at the point where it is "transfering packages" This
>happens both with the X based and text based installer. And with a
>minimum install and a larger one.
>I think that that problem might be that there is a bunch of stuff on
>the root partition (linuxppc). How can I wipe that partition and
>install over it, without reformatting the drive and loosing all of
>the important stuff on the other partitions?
>There is nothing obvious on the "partition drives" section of the
>custom installer will allow me to erase that single partition without
>damaging anything else.
>How can I do that?
>I assume that is why I am having a problem, but I am not completely
>sure about it.
>
>Thanks,
>
>--
>
>--Adam

Hi Adam,
        I had been playing around with various installations of numerous
OS's. When I went to install YDL 2.1 prior to wiping everything & starting
again, I had YDL 2.0 all set up & running.
        All I did was boot into the CD installer via Bootx (mine's an old
world 7600) & when I got to the bit where I was setting up my partitions, I
simply clicked on the linux partitions & then clicked delete for each in
turn, leaving the HFS partition alone.
        After this, I then clicked on the 'Unused' section which was
sitting alongside the HFS partition & clicked 'Add' for each in turn,
labelling the partitions as per the installation instructions & after
setting all the partitions, I clicked 'Save' after this, everything got
formatted without disturbing any other partitions & the install went fine.
Hope this is a help.

        Bye for now, Terry Allen
hEARd

Postal Address:
        hEARd
        c/o 128 The Entrance Rd
        The Entrance
        NSW 2261
        Australia

Internet -
        WWW:
        http://heard.com.au or http://www.ozemail.com.au/~hmag
        http://hosting.heard.com.au

Interactive Message Board - http://heard.com.au/wwwboard/

EMAIL: (checked every Thursday & Sunday, sometimes more often)
hmag@ozemail.com.au

Non profit promotion for new music
Also, check out the Educate site - http://www.educate.net.au