Re: YDL 2.1 Over LinuxPPC Problems

Subject: Re: YDL 2.1 Over LinuxPPC Problems
BillT@Mahagonny.com
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 09:04:56 MST

On 11/20/01, Adam Dershowitz wrote:
>I had LinuxPPC installed, so my hard drive was all partitioned. (I
>have one drive with the Mac OS, and a second one that has an HFS+
>partition, an HFS partition, a swap and root partition).
>The problem is that I have tried to install and the YDL 2.1
>installer keeps crashing at the point where it is "transfering
>packages" This happens both with the X based and text based
>installer. And with a minimum install and a larger one.
>I think that that problem might be that there is a bunch of stuff on
>the root partition (linuxppc). How can I wipe that partition and
>install over it, without reformatting the drive and loosing all of
>the important stuff on the other partitions?
>There is nothing obvious on the "partition drives" section of the
>custom installer will allow me to erase that single partition
>without damaging anything else.
>How can I do that?
>I assume that is why I am having a problem, but I am not completely
>sure about it.
>
>Thanks,
>
>--
>
>--Adam

I have had the same problem. It seems that the YellowDog installer
really needs to format your partitions on order to work properly.
Unfortunately in order to do that you have to delete your Linux
partitions and recreate them, since the installer doesn't have the
option to format an existing partition.

The traditional solution for this is to always make a separate
partition for "/home". That way when you run into this you can
reformat all your partitions except that one and remount it with the
new system.

If you don't have /home on it's own partition, you will need to
backup your settings to a separate drive before the YD installation

--
BillT@Mahagonny.com - PGP KeyID#: 0xFB966670

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.