Securing DNS

Subject: Securing DNS
From: Duane Murphy (duanemurphy@mac.com)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 15:17:09 MST

I have a YDL 2.1 machine setup as an Internet server. It is also acting
as a DNS server for my local network as well as for a couple of domains
on the internet.

I am concerned about the security of the domain server. I have seen how I
can change the access control to the local lan only but then I dont
respond to domain information for my public domains. I have also noticed
that my internal addresses are available to the outside with a request.
This is just annoying as they are local addresses and cant be used
externally. But its still seems like a risk.

Is there someway to secure this DNS server? To allow it to provide access
to my public domains as well as my local lookups?

Thanks for the help,
..Duane Murphy