Re: Packet loss

Subject: Re: Packet loss
From: Dan Calhoun (dcalhoun15@home.com)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 16:52:12 MST

Re: Packet loss
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Brian Watson
  To: yellowdog-general@lists.yellowdoglinux.com
  Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2001 3:21 PM

  My network's down to an airport base station, an HP4050TN, PM 7500, and the YDL box (6500) behind the Linksys router, since most of my equipment is at college. However, when all of my equipment is home add a PC and a G4 to the loop and all work well. By host name do you mean the DHCP client ID that @Home issues? You don't need to use that.

  That's what I thought, I'm not using it

  This sounds like a DNS problem. For the router, make sure the DNS is configured correctly. Add proper DNS entries to your router. Have "Specify an IP address" marks and enter your IP, subnet and router (default gateway) manually. You can find this information in the member services area. There's a place where they'll list your IPs manually, along with a primary and secondary DNS server. I had some problems with YDL and DHCP, so configure your box manually. You can do this by typing netconfig as root. The last step is to add the same DNS information that's stored in your router to /etc/resolv.conf

  Here's mine as an example:

  nameserver 24.0.108.15
  nameserver 24.0.108.17

  Mine are 24.8.150.33 and 34, and these are working.

  This should get you resolved and pinging away. Also, you might want to makre sure that you have the latest firmware in the LInksys router. Mine used to crash a lot until I upgraded the firmware. HTH.

  What version are you using, I'm at 1.38 something

  --Brian