Re: Newbie seeking help.

Subject: Re: Newbie seeking help.
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 17:28:14 MST

> Hello,
>
> For whatever reason, I want to run linux on my iBook so I can run a
> couple of linux applications.

Does anyone ever need a reason for anything? Did you need a hobby?
What applications did you have in mind?

>A friend suggested I set up my 1 Meg
> partition for Yellow Dog.

1 meg won't be enough. 1 gig might do it
2gig if you want to install the development tools, compilers etc.

>Well, right off the bat, I'm lost. What file(s)
> do I download?

In order to install you have to have an install cd
You can buy one or download the iso image and burn it into a cd.

>What is an .rpm file (I've successfully prevented Real
> Player from opening it)?

.rpm files are Red Hat Package Manager files. Each (there are 900 in YDL)
contains programs in executable form.

> The installation guide seems strait forward enough, I just need to know
> how to get to that point!

You need a cd.