problems with defaults

Subject: problems with defaults
From: neko (neko@mac.com)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 19:24:48 MST

i'm running a pretty much stock ydl 2.1 setup, and most things work fine (first distro out of four to see my scroll wheel, woohoo). the biggest problem i'm having are a couple defaults:

first, when i reboot, x window always starts in 8bpp mode. i can change it back to 16 in Xconfigurator, but i'd figure there would be a way to do this at boot. i set Xautoconfig to run at startup, which is my suspicion, but getting rid of the script in rc.5 didn't help.

second, my dns servers get erased when i reboot. again, i can reset them with netcfg, but still...i supposed i could make a resolv.conf.boot and just replace resolv.conf every time i boot, but that seems a little convoluted. any ideas?