Re: YDL 2.1 Installer: No Harddisks Found

Subject: Re: YDL 2.1 Installer: No Harddisks Found
From: Geert Janssens (geert.janssens3@pandora.be)
Date: Thu Nov 22 2001 - 02:49:53 MST

I did some further investigations myself.

Starting from the text based installer, I skipped the partioning step.
As a result, the mount step failed and threw me into the Python debugger.

I don't know python, but from my experience with other programming
languages, I could understand more or less what the installer scripts
attempted to do.

With Alt-F3 (or F4, I'm not sure anymore), I even got a simple shell.

The script that interested me, was parteditor.py. It tries to detect
hardware by reading the /proc/ide filesystem.

When I browse that filesystem myself, I find out that there is only a
hdc (my cdrom) and an ide1 (ide bus 1) entry. The script obviously
expects to find at least one hard disk there as well (reasonably hda on
my system). It is not there however.

This seems to be very odd. Since there is no ide0, I presume the kernel
only detects one of my ide buses. Is this assumpton correct ?

Mac OS works fine though, so it seems to me that both ide buses are
quite ok.

Can anybody shed some light on this ? How can this happen ? Is there a
way to get around this, and install YDL anyway ?

Some extra information:
- harddisk : Seagate 20 Gb
- Mac OS : 9.2.1

Geert Janssens