Re: How to customise iMac keyboard

Subject: Re: How to customise iMac keyboard
From: Charlie Watts (cewatts@frontier.net)
Date: Thu Nov 22 2001 - 04:20:24 MST

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, Mark Philip wrote:

> I'm using the original Bondi iMac keyboard. Is there a way to customise the
> keyboard so that I can get the Forward Delete functionality? I can do this in
> the MacOS via shareware. Is it possible in YDL?

Yes, at least in X. I can't figure out how to get a forward delete in
console. Anybody?

I have an iBook2, and re-mapped the right-hand command key to be
forward-delete.

I did this by adding "keycode 115 = Delete" to /etc/X11/Xmodmap. (YDL 2.1
... I seem to remember the file being elsewhere in 2.0)

To determine that I wanted to re-map keycode 115, I used the "xev" tool.

From X, run xev in an xterm. Put the mouse inside the little black box,
(bunches of output will get spat to the controlling terminal while you do
this, but will stop when you stop moving the mouse) and push the button
you want to map to forward-delete. You'll see a couple paragraphs in the
xterm - A KayPress and KeyRelease event. Look for the "keycode ___" bit on
the third line of each paragraph. That's the keycode to use.

I think you can make combo-events work, too ... like have command-delete
do forward-delete, but I've not tried.

--
Charlie Watts
cewatts@frontier.net