Changing Screen Resolution

Subject: Changing Screen Resolution
From: Ben Jansen (ydl@kristamin.com)
Date: Sat Nov 24 2001 - 04:10:40 MST

Hello,

YDL 2.1 successfully installed, X is working, and the deer and antelope are
playing behind me.

There is one problem: I can't figure out how to get linux to use a screen
resolution other than 640x480. I've tried various video kernel argument
styles that I found on the net, including:

video=matroxfb:vmode:15,cmode:16
video=matroxfb:vmode=15,cmode=16
video=matroxfb:vmode:15:cmode:16

Also I tried different settings on the No Video Driver and Force Video
Settings checkboxes in BootX. No matter what, whenever I run Xwindows (which
is set for 1024x768) I get the PC Laptop Scrolling Screen Effect. (For those
who've never experienced the PC Laptop Scrolling Screen Effect, it occurs
when one sets the screen res on a laptop to higher than the LCD can handle,
and it ends up showing only part of the total desktop--the screen scrolls
whenever the mouse hits the sides.)

Any ideas?

TIA,
--Ben Jansem