Re: X Documentation

Subject: Re: X Documentation
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Sat Nov 24 2001 - 14:55:15 MST

> There are plenty of books about X at all levels
> Try doing a search for books on X-windows.
> There are over 20 here:
> http://www.powells.com/subsection/UnixXWindows.html
> and 69 at O'Reilly:
> http://search.oreilly.com/cgi-bin/search?term=X+windows&category=All&pref=a
>ll Stephen Lewis
Thanks for the links. I've taken a look.
While there are plenty of books out there, the majority are for X programming
with one or another toolkit. The o'reilly book on X system administration
looks good, but it was published in 1992. I'll pick up a copy and take a
look. I suspect that while most of what's in it is probably still true and
directly relevant, it doesnt take into account recent developments like

xfce http://www.xfce.org/
kde http://www.kde.org/
gnome http://www.gnome.org

What I want is not that complex, it just ties together a lot of what I'm
feeling are loose ends, and collects the kind of info people are looking for
most of the time in the mailing lists when they have problems.

I'm starting a project to collect the kinds of info needed for this. If
anyone's interested in helping, drop me a line.

Pat