Re: SCSI Adapter Support

Subject: Re: SCSI Adapter Support
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Nov 25 2001 - 00:58:56 MST

At 8:09 PM -0500 11/23/01, Bob Beaton wrote:

>I've got YDL 2.1 running on some older PowerMacs (7100s and 8500s), which I
>would like to cluster for some big number-crunching tasks. I'm trying to
>decide how to upgrade the SCSI disk systems in these machines, since I
>anticipate needing to do a lot of disk I/O.
>
>Does YDL support accelerated SCSI cards? I'm particularly interested in the
>faster SCSI cards for my Nubus machines, such as the FWB JackHammer or ATTO
>Silicon Express IV. But I'd also like to know if the newer PCI SCSI cards
>are supported, such as the Adaptec PowerDomain 39160, 29160, 29160N, and
>2930 cards.

You can probably forget about the NuBus SCSI cards. NuBus PowerMac
support in the Linux kernel isn't very developed in general because
it's pretty new (working patches were first released in mid-2000),
there are few programmers interested in it, and it isn't integrated
into the mainline Linux source code.

http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net/ seems to indicate that right now
there is no complete framework for writing NuBus card drivers, and
that the only cards supported are video cards.

601-based NuBus Macs are pretty slow compared to 604 and G3 machines.
Unless you have an awful lot of them it probably isn't worthwhile to
integrate them into a distributed number crunching system.

Adaptec's entire range of PCI SCSI cards is supported (aic7xxx
driver). Atto's PCI cards should work too (sym53c8xx driver).

--
Tim Seufert