Re: IBMJava2-JRE vs. j2re

Subject: Re: IBMJava2-JRE vs. j2re
From: Graham Leggett (minfrin@sharp.fm)
Date: Sun Nov 25 2001 - 08:06:42 MST

Mark Brethen wrote:

> I was going to install java, but I see there are two flavors: IBMJava2-JRE
> and j2re. Which one should I install?

IBMJava2-JRE is the Java Runtime Environment as written and implemented
by IBM. j2re is the Java Runtime Environment as implemented by Sun
Microsystems, and is considered the reference implementation. Both are
in theory interchangeable with each other - only the bugs will be
different. I use the IBM version on all my LinuxIntel machines, works
great.

Neither of these two products are available for LinuxPPC (and therefore
YDL) directly though - but - the Blackdown project has ported the Sun
version of j2re to LinuxPPC, and is available from www.blackdown.org.
Unfortunately only j2re v1.3.0 is available, not v1.3.1 (the latest
version), however it seems to work fine for me.

So: the short answer is that you want the PPC version of j2re, available
from www.blackdown.org.

Regards,
Graham

minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon