Re: Changing Screen Resolution

Subject: Re: Changing Screen Resolution
From: Alexander Holst (holst@fh-pforzheim.de)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 04:14:31 MST

Hi Ben,

I ran pretty much into the same problems when installing YDL 2.1 on a beige
G3/233 Desktop. I still haven't found a way to get the machine to boot
another screen resolution other than 640x480 - however, there is a cure to
your X settings:

a]
Boot into console mode, or issue init 3 as root, so the system goes into
runlevel 3. Log in as root, and run fbset 1024x768-75 or something
appropriate for your display [see man fbset and/or /etc/fb.modes]. This
should at least set the screen to some resolution usefull. Be aware that
you can set modes with that command, that your monitor may not display!
That means you should remember that fbset 640x480-60 will at least give you
some usable resolution - you might have to type it in blindly.

b]
After having found the desired screen resolution, run Xautoconfig4 which
will write a XF86Config-4 file, based upon the current video settings. Be
sure to backup your previous one - Xautoconfig will *not* do this for you,
but silently overwrite the initial one!

c]
Do the neccessary customization to that newly generated file [being in
Germany always means to edit the keyboard section - it would be nice if
Xautoconfig would read the system defaults]

d]
Start X by typing startx. The screen should now be the size you intended it
to be without scrolling =8]

Hope this helped.
Greetings,
Alex

>Subject: Changing Screen Resolution
>
>Hello,
>
>YDL 2.1 successfully installed, X is working, and the deer and antelope are
>playing behind me.
>
>There is one problem: I can't figure out how to get linux to use a screen
>resolution other than 640x480. I've tried various video kernel argument
>styles that I found on the net, including:
>
>video=matroxfb:vmode:15,cmode:16
>video=matroxfb:vmode=15,cmode=16
>video=matroxfb:vmode:15:cmode:16
>
>Also I tried different settings on the No Video Driver and Force Video
>Settings checkboxes in BootX. No matter what, whenever I run Xwindows (which
>is set for 1024x768) I get the PC Laptop Scrolling Screen Effect. (For those
>who've never experienced the PC Laptop Scrolling Screen Effect, it occurs
>when one sets the screen res on a laptop to higher than the LCD can handle,
>and it ends up showing only part of the total desktop--the screen scrolls
>whenever the mouse hits the sides.)
>
>Any ideas?
>
>TIA,
>--Ben Jansem

Alexander Holst
SysAdmin MacLabor Visuelle Kommunikation
Pforzheim University of Applied Sciences
Germany
ph.: +49 [0]7231 28-6837
fx.: +49 [0]7231 28-6040
<holst@fh-pforzheim.de>