Re: 10/100 ethernet card in PPC

Subject: Re: 10/100 ethernet card in PPC
From: Nathan A. McQuillen (nm@steaky.dhs.org)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 05:10:04 MST

what's the chipset?

here's what a few minutes on google has revealed (a good skill to develop
if you're going to be a linux user, btw): d-link's web site has a lot of
information about this card, as does scyld.

From d-link: (http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=487) You have
two options for what the card may be, either the dfe-530tx+ rev. a, b, or
c, or the same but rev. d1 or d2; looks like if you have the latter it'll
be more of a pain since d-link wants you to compile the drivers from the
install disk (and i just don't know how easy it is to cross-compile pci
modules -- anybody?) There's also a lot of info on the realtek modules
at scyld (really, the first place after google to look if you have /any/
ethernet trouble): http://www.scyld.com/network/rtl8139.html.

somebody else'll have to walk you through the complete setup 'cause i've
only done it once & that was over a year ago, but... does the machine at
least find the card on boot? (check your boot log.)

as far as the slowness issue, again, if you'd post the content of your
config files it'd be a lot easier to figure out what's up with your
network problems. otherwise it's shooting in the dark. at least post your
pingtimes (to router, to other hosts on your subnet, to a remote
system...) and the results of a traceroute to something on- and
off-subnet. do this NOW and post the results!!

- n2

PS - also, for clarity and legibility, you'll probably want to use 'Mac'
or 'MacOS' in your posts instead of MAC -- MAC refers to an ethernet
hardware address (Media Access Control address), confusing if you're
scanning somebody's ethernet-focused post. More at
http://webopedia.internet.com/TERM/M/MAC_address.html.