Re: Changing Screen Resolution

Subject: Re: Changing Screen Resolution
From: Geert Janssens (geert.janssens3@pandora.be)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 12:18:26 MST

neko wrote:

> |There is one problem: I can't figure out how to get linux to use a screen
> |resolution other than 640x480. I've tried various video kernel argument
> |styles that I found on the net, including:
>
> i use Xconfigurator as root to change monitor settings, you may want to
> give it a try. however, it resets back to the default every time i boot up
> (always at 1024x728x8, i want 1024x728x16), so maybe someone has a better
> solution ;)

I also had the resolution problem in X.

What I did was changing the XFree86config-4 file (found in /etc/X11) as
this contains the video settings for X.

I noticed that the default driver in the "Device" section was "fbdev",
which is a generic video driver.

The logfile of XFree86 starting up (which can be found in /var/log)
indicated that fbdev could not set the resolution to 1024x768 for some
reason or another.

Since my Mac G3/233 (rev. 1) has an ATI Rage II graphics controller, I
changed the driver from "fbdev" to "ati" in the XFree86.

That did the trick. I now have a resolution of 1024x768 (in X at least,
not on the virtual consoles).

Additional advantage: with the ati driver, my graphics get accellerated.
  IIRC that is not the case with the generic fbdev driver.

Cheers,
Geert