CDROM: Now U see it, now U dont't...

Subject: CDROM: Now U see it, now U dont't...
From: Patrick Ladam (ladam@smbh.smbh.univ-paris13.fr)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 12:28:55 MST

Hi folks,

Got a B/W G3 rev.1, YDL 2.1 kernel 2.4.10.12a and noticed a unstable behaviour
with the internal
CDROM.
Sometimes it works (mounts the CD on /mnt/cdrom) and sometimes it doesn't and
you are unable
to mount a CD. It is completly erratic and I was not able to relate it to
anything.

When the CD fails to mount, here is what a 'dmesg | grep cd' will print out:

hde: ide_cdrom_setup failed to register device with the cdrom driver

I tried a bunch of variations around mount :
mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom and so on but still the same answer:
/dev/cdrom no such device

Any ideas???

| Patrick LADAM | |
| Laboratoire CSSB | THE BIG BANG THEORY: |
| UFR SMBH | |
| 74 rue Marcel Cachin | In the begining there was |
| 93017 Bobigny CEDEX | nothing at all. |
| >>> NEW e-mail: <<< | |
| ladam@smbh.smbh.univ-paris13.fr | Then, it exploded... |
| Tel: 01 48 38 77 26 / 76 85 | |
| Fax: 01 48 38 77 77 | |