Re: Networking Woe's

Subject: Re: Networking Woe's
From: Barry Sparenborg (barrys@jorsm.com)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 19:14:47 MST

on 11/28/01 3:07 AM, Iain Stevenson at iain@iainstevenson.com wrote:

> Are you syre that eth1 is the Asante card? I found that the newer kernels
> load the pci card modules before the internal drivers - hence the internal
> Ethernet becomes eth1. I spent several days scratching my head over
> exactly the same problem you're having becuase of this! Look through the
> output of dmesg to see how the drivers are assigned.
>
> Iain
>

> --On Tuesday, November 27, 2001 7:07 pm -0600 Barry Sparenborg
> <barrys@jorsm.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All:
>>
>> i have a 8500 PPC running YDL 1.2.1 Champion Server. The 8500 has the
>> standard ethernet assigned as eth0 and a Asnate 10/100 PCI card (eth1)
>> that should use the Tulip driver. When the computer boots it assigns
>> eth1 as a de? chipset. I'm sure this is compiled into the kernel. i
>> have the pci-scan and tulip modules running. When i ifup eth1 the light
>> on the hub comes on and i can ping its ip address from the machine its
>> running on and can ping the interface from other computers on the
>> network, as long as i have eth0 plugged in. If i down eth0 i can still
>> ping the eth1 interface from the server but not from any other machine.
>> I want to use eth1 for my internal network and the eth0 for my external
>> connection. What am i doing wrong? i dont seem to have any traffic going
>> through eth1. I have installed the latest tulip drivers and still the
>> same thing occurs. My routing table looks fine after i bring up eth1.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --
>> Barry Sparenborg

Well according to dmesg, eth0 is the onboard interface MACE and eth1 loads a
DC21143 de4x5.c driver using irq 25 provided by PCI BIOS witch is not the
correct driver for this card (made a mistake here it is a farallon 10/100
card). Is there anyway short of compiling a new kernel to keep this driver
from loading at boot time? I don't have any way to get the new kernel to the
server. Have a very limited mac os partition on this machine. Should i try
a different card like the 3com 3C905B-TX PCI. Will this card work in a mac
running YDL?

Thanks for the help any more words of wisdom?

--
Barry & Terri Sparenborg