Re: CDROM: Now U see it, now U don't...

Subject: Re: CDROM: Now U see it, now U don't...
From: Christopher Murtagh (christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca)
Date: Thu Nov 29 2001 - 06:35:32 MST

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Patrick Ladam wrote:
>OK, maybe I should precise I am working on SGI workstaions that I
>administrate since almost 10 years and I started linux with LPPC R5... I
>also ported a scientific soft under linuxPPC so I think I can tell I
>know what the hell I'm doing.

 I don't care if you were Linus Torvalds or Alan Cox, running as root is a
*bad idea*. It has nothing to do with user experience. We are all human,
we all make typos. When you are a user rather than root, the system is
protected even if only a bit. But, hey, do whatever the hell you want on
your machines, just don't go and tell newbies that it is a smart idea.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Sysadmin Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada

Tel.: (514) 398-3122 Fax: (514) 398-2017