Re: CDROM: Now U see it, now U don't...

Subject: Re: CDROM: Now U see it, now U don't...
From: Patrick Ladam (ladam@smbh.smbh.univ-paris13.fr)
Date: Thu Nov 29 2001 - 15:56:54 MST

Christopher Murtagh wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Patrick Ladam wrote:
> >OK, maybe I should precise I am working on SGI workstaions that I
> >administrate since almost 10 years and I started linux with LPPC R5... I
> >also ported a scientific soft under linuxPPC so I think I can tell I
> >know what the hell I'm doing.
>
> I don't care if you were Linus Torvalds or Alan Cox, running as root is a
> *bad idea*. It has nothing to do with user experience. We are all human,
> we all make typos. When you are a user rather than root, the system is
> protected even if only a bit. But, hey, do whatever the hell you want on
> your machines, just don't go and tell newbies that it is a smart idea.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris

You miss-interpreted my humour (does humour belong in UNIX?), I

never told to run as root to anybody (where did you read this please?).

Of course this is risky and of course I do what I want on my machine

and when I make typos I blame nobody else than me. But honestly

try to count the time you spend as root and as a regular user on

your Linux box (be honest). Linux is not MacOS you have to put your

hands under the hood frequently no?

Ok anyway I close this discussion, the interest is rather limitated

for the list.

Cheers

| Patrick LADAM | |
| Laboratoire CSSB | THE BIG BANG THEORY: |
| UFR SMBH | |
| 74 rue Marcel Cachin | In the begining there was |
| 93017 Bobigny CEDEX | nothing at all. |
| >>> NEW e-mail: <<< | |
| ladam@smbh.smbh.univ-paris13.fr | Then, it exploded... |
| Tel: 01 48 38 77 26 / 76 85 | |
| Fax: 01 48 38 77 77 | |