Re: CDROM: Now U see it, now U don't...

Subject: Re: CDROM: Now U see it, now U don't...
From: Christopher Murtagh (christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca)
Date: Thu Nov 29 2001 - 14:14:11 MST

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Patrick Ladam wrote:
>You miss-interpreted my humour (does humour belong in UNIX?), I

 humor and unix do not mix, or is that humor and eunuchs...

>try to count the time you spend as root and as a regular user on your
>Linux box (be honest). Linux is not MacOS you have to put your hands
>under the hood frequently no?

 On my desktop machine, I almost *never* log in as root, certainly not in
X. sudo is my friend for most things (man sudo).

 On my servers, I do spend a lot of time (percentage wise) as root, but
that's because the only time I log in is to make system
changes/diagnostics, and those times are pretty rare. Even then, I'll
often log in as a user, and su only if something is acting funny or I want
to view /var/log/messages.

 I guess what it comes down to, is that I don't trust anyone as a user on
my machines, including myself. mod_paranoid is also my friend.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Sysadmin Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada

Tel.: (514) 398-3122 Fax: (514) 398-2017