Re:OSX vs. YDL

Subject: Re:OSX vs. YDL
From: Paul Guba (gubavision@home.com)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 09:28:57 MST

First off you are comparing apples with oranges. You may like oranges
more but they will never be apples. Is YDL more flexible of course. It
is this way by design but it comes at a price. Difficulty in it
configuration and its installation upgrading. All the things that make
it a very powerful and open platform also make it cumbersome and
awkward. OSX however is less open in doing so it has more control over
what it includes. Allowing for a more plug and play interface. This is
by design simply put the average user does not have the patience or the
know how to deal with the a full blown Unix or Linux based system. All
you have to do is see the amount of install problems with YDL on this
list. Do you really think that would fly in a mainstream product. As
far as the bloat ware claim I do believe YDL install wants at least two
gigs to install if I recall correctly. Claims that its slow I just
haven't seen. If you run a classic app yes it slows down. I imagine if
you ran some windows simulator on Linux it too would be slow. My
network speeds and file transfer all appear to have increased in speed
with OSX and native apps seem as fast or faster. If you were expecting
FreeBSD from OSX tough what's the purpose in that it already exists why
reinvent the wheel. So if you want control and an open platform go with
Linux. I have booth and they live very happily together. In the mean
time lets see who can connect a firewire CDR and burn a CD faster. If
you win I'll bake you nice orange pie. ;-)