RE: Nubie question, install without macos ?

Subject: RE: Nubie question, install without macos ?
From: Pete Peters (ppeters914@home.com)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 11:52:20 MST

Art,

You can use Shorten <http://www.hornig.net/shorten.html> to compute
md5sums on the Mac. Classic and carbon versions available. Windows and
MacOS ISO verifiers can also be found at;

<http://www.linuxiso.org/md5sum.html>

Hmmmmm, never heard of Undisker. IIRC, most of the posts on successful
burns on Windoze boxes use Nero or EZ CD Creator.

Blake did *NOT* tell us what model desktop Mac he installed YDL w/o
MacOS on. I bet it's a New World ROM Mac, which your 7200/90 is *NOT*.
Like Brian said, your Mac *REQUIRES* a minimum MacOS install to
install/boot Linux. You only need the Finder, the system file, maybe the
CDROM extension, and SimpleText (and
otherwise empty folders for extensions, preferences, control panels,
etc.)

Btw, all the above info was available in the archives. The
"Do-I-have-to-install-MacOS?" question has been answered numerous times.
Please search there first before posting a question.

EXTRA TIBIT: Not knowing the history of your 7200/90, or how long you've
had it, just want you to know that early ones had a problem on the
motherboard where the networking would quit when it got warm. Turns out
it was a bad circuit board etching that would "disconnect" after a
while. Apple had a recall program to fix it. Don't know it that info is
still in Apple's knowledgebase or not.

Pete