Re: iBook2001

Subject: Re: iBook2001
From: Romain Kang (romain@kzsu.stanford.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 15:21:00 MST

> Okay, I may be showing how new I am to Linux, but how exactly do I go
> about fiddling with the options?

1. You mention starting the GUI. If your machine is automatically
   coming up with the X11 GUI, you should change it to boot to the
   regular text mode console instead, at least while you're testing.
   In this case, get a regular console by typing <Ctrl><Alt><F2>.
   Login, then edit /etc/inittab so that the default runlevel is 3:
        id:3:initdefault:
   (5 starts X11 automatically). Then go to init level 3:
        # init 3
   Also, I usually make runlevel 3 my default because I'm interested
   in any system diagnostics that appear on the text console.

2. Save your old /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, then move the new one in.
   From here on, I prefer to run as a nonprivileged user. Of
   course, you'll need to be superuser to make modifications to
   XF86Config-4.

3. Try running X in "probeonly" mode:
        % startx -- -probeonly >& /tmp/X.output
   Your screen should temporarily blank as the video mode changes
   to X, then back to text console.

4. Look in X.output and see if there are any errors recorded there.
   If there is a problem with XF86Config-4, you'll see complaints
   about options that don't work or aren't supported. The usual
   course of action will be to comment out lines that X complains
   about, or turning off options. If you still have problems, send
   email to the list with a description of what you see, plus the
   contents of X.output and someone will probably have insightful
   suggestions :-).

5. When you have a clean "probeonly" run, try starting it for
   real:
        % startx >& /tmp/X.output

6. If you come right back to the text console or still get a bad GUI
   display, follow the procedure in step 4.

7. If you get into X11 but can't do anything, you can use
   <Ctrl><Alt><F2> (or <F3> ... <F6>) to get back to a text
   console and stop the X-related processes. Then follow
   step 4.

Good luck,
Romain