Re: ATA Cards

Subject: Re: ATA Cards
From: Nathan A. McQuillen (nmlists@steaky.dhs.org)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 02:23:40 MDT

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Stefan Schneider wrote:

> What type of card? Trying to compile support for the Promise ULTRA EIDE
> cards ends up with an "Architecture not supported" message with 2.2.17 and
> 2.4.0 kernels in my case...
>
> Stefan

I don't care what kind of card -- although I'd rather not have to buy a
Mac-specific card because I don't really have that kind of cash at the
moment (and there's nowhere in my area that sells them retail, so the good
old buy-and-return if you can't make it work trick won't do me a lot of
good here). Doesn't matter on the Mac end, because the MacOS will never
have to see the ATA drive. Maybe this will help: my preferred Linux
machine is a PowerComputing box (PowerCenter Pro) whose big SCSI drive
died, so I'm using my beige G3 as the Linux system temporarily b/c the
drive is big enough (6GB) -- but I'd like to move that drive, which is
ATA, over to the older machine. For this, of course, I need an ATA card:
hence the query. It seems like this list is mostly concerned with them
fancy new thangs, but won't somebody help me breathe a little life back
into my beloved PC Pro?

(This would seem to me to be an ideal time to hear from one of the kernel
team, if anybody's still on the list after that last outburst. Anyone?)

Thanks again...

- N.

(BTW, sure am glad that crap died down quickly. Thanks, all.)