Re: Moving up...?

Subject: Re: Moving up...?
From: cdowns (cdowns@skillsoft.com)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 12:12:04 MDT

Matthew Weinstein wrote:

> I'm running out of space on my hard drive and am thinking about replacing
> it with a much larger one. My question is how do I go about moving my files
> and all the relevant directory branches over so I don't lose all the stuff
> I've installed over the last 6 mo.?
>
> Matthew
>
> Matthew Weinstein
> Director of Secondary Education
> Macalester College
>
> vox: (651) 696-6018
> fax: (651) 645-3979

if everything is in your $HOME diectory like it should be then you can :

tar -cR ~home >> home.tar

this way you create and recursively hold all permissions on a nice shiny new
tarball and copy it somewhere, when you get you new drive in you could dump it
back into your nice new bigger dir like :

tar -xvf home.tar

hope this helps
chris