Re: IMS TT128 woes

Subject: Re: IMS TT128 woes
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 21:19:54 MDT

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Darren Graham wrote:

> lots of people have experienced problems with CS1.2 straight out of the
> box. Myself included.

The problem with IMS cards is nothing specific to CS; it has everything to
do with the kernel driver for the cards.

> Use "no video" setting in BootX and try it without any kernel arguments for
> now. Update the kernel to 2.2.15pre19 or newer - this one worked for me on
> both a G4 and PB3400c.
> try here for the latest kernel, also update system.map and modules.
> http://ppclinux.apple.com/~benh/

The newest kernel won't help much - I don't think any work on the driver
has been done in a long time.

Reportedly most people can get 8-bit color with acceleration, or I think
it works (slowly) with the "no video" setting.

-Hollis