re: bloody netatalk

Subject: re: bloody netatalk
From: Nathaniel Irons (beppo@bumppo.net)
Date: Sat Oct 07 2000 - 13:35:10 MDT

On 10/7/00 at 1:32 PM, mmessano@gumption.com (Michael Messano) wrote:

> I was wondering what version of netatalk you are trying to compile?
> It looks like, from the compile messages, that you are trying to
> install the 1.4b2 sources. If you aren't already aware, those
> sources have been superceded by the asun series of patches.

I found the asun/sourceforge version first [1], but then spent an hour
or so trying to persuade make to emit something, anything more useful
than "make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop." I've
got superficial documentation for make or makefiles, so I concluded that
the asun version was not ready for prime time when I found the umich
version, which at least starts to compile.

The asun readme says to edit the toplevel makefile and add DESTDIR (why
isn't there a reasonable default? I can't imagine), but make's behavior
doesn't change either way.

Am I missing a step with the asun version?

  -nat

[1] netatalk-1.4.99-0.20000927.tar.gz