Install Woes and WTF is "error of type -39?"

Subject: Install Woes and WTF is "error of type -39?"
From: Scott K. Stafford (scotts@together.net)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 12:30:02 MDT

I'm trying to install YDL on a G3 I inherited (I'm the sysadmin of a Unix/NT
shop...) from a graphic artist position that was eliminated. I know from
nothing about Macs - and I don't particularly want to know anything about
them (thus YDL...), but I'd like to get this still-capable system working in
Unix.

But....

I've partitioned the disk (as MacOS standard, since the "HPS" filesystem
asked-for in the installation guide is manifestly not one of the choices
available when partitioning...), and the manual wants me to open the
BootX_1.2-2.sea archive in the /install directory on the YDL installation
CD. When I do this, this wretched Mac squeals:

"The application program "BootX_1.2.2.sea" could not be opened, because an
error of type -39 occurred." (Helpful stuff, this; I can see how the
Macintosh got such a killer rep for being user friendly ... but I
digress...)

Hoping that the BootX_1.2.2.sit archive contained the same key files, I
tried to open that, but the Stuffit program just flashes the screen and
doesn't seem to create anything useful.

What ignorance am I falling victim to?

Scott K. Stafford
scotts@together.net