RE: installation issues

Subject: RE: installation issues
From: Pete Peters (ppeters@broadcastzone.com)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 13:43:42 MDT

Yes, the RedHat installer kept coming up for me, too, so I just installed
using it. It's no big deal. I have two hard drives, but the process should
work w/ just one. Here's the Reader Digest Condensed version;

1. You need to have Linux partitions. I created the partitions initally
using the Apple Drive Setup, then using the MacOS version of pdisk to
convert them to type "Apple_UNIX_SVR2."

2. I ftp'd the complete YellowDog folder to my MacOS (HFS) hard drive using
Viacomsoft's FTP Client. You could use Fetch, Anarchie or Transit. Just
make sure you download as binary. What's key here is knowing which
partition these RPMS are on. pdisk can tell you. If IDE, it will be
something like /dev/hda5. If SCSI (like mine), it'll look something like
/dev/sdb6.

3. Somewhere in the install process, the RH Installer will ask what type of
install: choose Hard Drive, then fill in the location, which is what you
determined in Step 2 above.

...and a-w-a-a-a-a-a-y you go! Have fun.

Pete