Re: Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Subject: Re: Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
From: cdowns (cdowns@skillsoft.com)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 14:35:06 MDT

Joshua Gitlin wrote:

> Hey everyone. Sorry to be a pest, but I am still stuck. I have
> installed CS 1.2.1... I have a disk with a small HFS partition, and
> three linux partitions. The install worked properly. I have a kernel
> on the small HFS partition, the same kernel that came with the
> install CD. Yaboot points to that kernel. However I can't boot Linux
> -- I see the penguin and all of the boot-messages, but the Kernel
> panics because it can't mout /root... or something. I'm going to
> reboot again and try it. Anyone have any ideas??? Thanks...
>
> -Josh

here is what it looks like unser redhat i.e /etc/lilo.conf:

[root@dwarf_1 root]# cat /etc/lilo.conf
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
linear
default=linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17-cmd-tuxtop
        label=linux
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda6 <--------- this is pointing to the root
partition.

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.16-3
        label=old
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda6
[root@dwarf_1 root]#

i would assume YD1.2 like most all linux dostro's needs a pointer
reference. so to verify the / partition do: df -h

[root@dwarf_1 /root]# df -h
/dev/hda6 16G 2.4G 13G 15% / <-------------- see it
here
/dev/hda1 21M 4.0M 16M 20% /boot