Re: PostgreSQL vs MySQL

Subject: Re: PostgreSQL vs MySQL
From: Chuq Von Rospach (chuqui@plaidworks.com)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 10:53:52 MDT

At 12:38 PM -0400 10/12/00, Steve Moitozo wrote:

>Just curious, what's wrong with Filemaker? Couldn't you use it in combo
>with WebObjects via ODBC?

slow and doesn't scale well. It works fine for small sites (I've used
it with Tango for years), but if you plan on growing your site, you
hit a point whre you have to architect it out of the site and do
something else, so I'm no longer developing around it because you
eventually hit a wall as your site grows.

using mySQL or Postgres gives you an upgrade path. If you grow, you
can even move to larger hardware or even Oracle with fairly minor
work, whereas, with Filemaker, if you outgrow Filemaker on Apple's
biggest box, you die.

Be just, and fear not.