Re: need some help with burning cs1.21 image

Subject: Re: need some help with burning cs1.21 image
From: Jeff (jhergan@home.com)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 12:15:02 MDT

>>land. : |
>>
>> That should say '56k' : /
>>
>> >i hate to say this, but do it ona pc w/adadptec easy cd creater and rename
>> >the extesion to .iso , works great and is bootable. burning under a
>> >macintosh becomes a project and with burnables at about .25 cents a piece
>> >you cant afford to waste em' hehehehe
>> >
>> >good luck, chris
>>
>> And this has to be the most ridiculous bit of advice I've heard yet (LOL).
>> Nothing could be simpler than burning in Toast:
>> download, open Toast, drag the image to the "cdimage" screen and
>>click 'write'.
>> BTW...where do you get a cup of coffee for .25? I may have to relocate ;)
>> Peace
>> Jeff
>
>ehehehe i know toast is gravy but it seems to always want a macintosh startup
>folder to make the disc bootable. i would personally do:
>
>[root@dwarf_1 /root]#cdrecord -b -v -o yellowdog.img speed=4 -data dev=1,0,0
>yellowdog-1.2
>
>now that will work :)
>
>later, chris

I agree: if you already have a box running a linux distro. Of
course, in that case you really probably shouldn't need help burning
a disk image ;)

But to bring this back on topic: why make the disk image bootable?
Is that neccessary for yaboot or something? From my experience with
BootX and OpenFirmware installs (of SuSE, LinuxPPc, NetBSD, YDL, and
now MkLinux R1) there's no need for a bootable install disk. Or is
there some way to run linux without having _any_ Mac OS partition,
which requires a bootable install disk?
I thought even Yaboot required a small, fake mac os. So what's the skinny?

And btw: has anyone had any luck burning audio disks in DAO mode
using a Performa 6360 (603ev) with a Panasonic/Matsushita cw7502
using cdrdao, cdrecord or anything else? I can use this setup to
burn audio in TAO and to burn data but I always get IO errors and
interrupts when I try to burn DAO (which is why I'm installing
mklinux...to see if it will make my burner burn disks DAO).
I asked this same question of the guy who wrote cdrecord and he said
it seems to be a kernel bug. And I asked here but got no replies.
Anyone?