YellogDog Linux CS 1.2 & 1.2.1 Freezing (using yaboot/ybin)

Subject: YellogDog Linux CS 1.2 & 1.2.1 Freezing (using yaboot/ybin)
From: Robert Leatherwood (robandlaura@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 17:56:50 MDT

I installed Yellowdog Linux CS 1.2 and finally got yaboot/ybin configured so I can boot MacOS, MacOS X and Linux. My problem is this, if I choose Linux when I boot the computer, Linux will freeze while initializing the USB ports. If I boot the computer into MacOS 9, restart the computer from MacOS 9 and then choose Linux, Linux will boot correctly. This also occurs with the new YellowDog CS 1.2.1 CD. If I boot my computer into the CD, Linux will freeze while initializing the USB ports. I would like to use yaboot/ybin over BootX (which does work since I have to boot into MacOS 9). The YellowDog CS 1.2 CD does not have this problem.

My computer is an iMac rev C, 160MB ram, no other USB devices connected except the keyboard and the mouse. I have tried both USB ports. This seems to be an issue with the latest kernels. I even zapped the NVRAM and PRAM, and completely erased my hard disk to remove that possibilty.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Has anyone else had or seen this problem?

Robert Leatherwood