Re: can't find gcc or make

Subject: Re: can't find gcc or make
From: dsbelile (dsbelile@mediaone.net)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 20:27:36 MDT

John Springer wrote:

> i tried to install a new perl module and discovered that I don't have make.
> I don't have gcc either. I see them in the source CD as rpm archives, but
> don't I have to have make and gcc to get the binaries? I did a rpm -i but
> it only left me with a tar.gz file in /etc/rpm/SOURCES. I can't believe
> they're not already there somewhere. I'm confused. Someone hit me over the
> head or something.
>
> J.
>
> --
> John Springer
> Portland's my home.
> Rain's a Good Thang.

well if you havent installed them on the initial install you need to load
them. perl is installed by default. im trying to think of the packegs names
ahhhh

here we go :

make-3.78.1-3.ppc.rpm
gcc-2.95.2-1i.ppc.rpm
gcc-chill-2.95.2-1i.ppc.rpm
gcc-objc-2.95.2-1i.ppc.rpm
gcc-c++-2.95.2-1i.ppc.rpm
gcc-g77-2.95.2-1i.ppc.rpm

this should get you going, these are on the yellowdog1.2 disc, you may need to
install some dependencies or something as for i dont run yellowdog so im not
sure as to this.

anyway mount the cd:

[root@lamprey /root]# mount /dev/cdr /mnt/cdr
mount: block device /dev/cdr is write-protected, mounting read-only
[root@lamprey /root]# cd /mnt/cdr/YellowDog/RPMS/
[root@lamprey RPMS]# rpm -ivh make-3.78.1-3.ppc.rpm

and do the same for the gcc packages like: rpm -ivh gcc*

good luck , chris