Evil bootloader or clueless newbie?

Subject: Evil bootloader or clueless newbie?
From: Gawain Reifsnyder (gawain@guitar.net)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 21:00:30 MDT

I think I've gotten my drive partitioning issues out of the way, but
now I have a bigger problem... getting yaboot to work!

The machine is a single-processor G4/400. According to the YDL docs I
need to use yaboot, and my experiments with BootX after failing to
get yaboot going seem to confirm that. I've got an older Mac (beige
G3/300 that uses BootX just fine).

Here's what's happening:

On the root level of my MacOS drive, I've got the following files:

yaboot.tbxi
vmlinux
ramdisk.image.gz
yaboot.conf

My MacOS drive is hda9, and my linux root partition is hda10. My
yaboot.conf file is configured like this:

<-- begin yaboot.conf -->

timeout = 50
default = linux

image = hd:9,\yaboot.tbxi
    label = linux
    initrd = /dev/hda10

<-- end yaboot.conf -->

I boot into open firmware, and type: boot hd:9,\yaboot.tbxi

The green text comes up on the screen with the following text:

Welcome to Yellow Dog Linux...

boot: <NULL>
device not found!

Ramdisk image not found.
ramdisk load failed!
ENTER called ok
0>_

And that's all she wrote....

I've tried a bunch of different variations on the theme, but the end
result is basically the same. What's happening here?

Best regards,

Gawain Reifsnyder
Guitar.net, Inc.
http://guitar.net