Re: PostgreSQL vs MySQL

Subject: Re: PostgreSQL vs MySQL
From: Todd Daniel Woodward (tdwoodward@radiodigest.com)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 22:07:21 MDT

> Greetings,
>
> I have been given the task to replace some of our public databases
> (currently running FileMaker/Lasso) and move them over to a more robust
> solution.
>
> So, now I have to decide which engine to run (WebObjects, PhP, Lasso -
> which is now running on OSX) and with which database (MySQL, PostgreSQL or
> some thing else -- not FileMaker!). I think I would rather stick to a
> Linux solution rather than OSX, but if anyone had any convincing arguments
> to use OSX, I would be open to it.
>
> In short, I really don't know a lot about these databases, and any
> comments or pointers on where I could get some info and/or comparisons
> would be much appreciated.

If cost isn't a concern driving you to free, open source software, give
FrontBase 2.x serious consideration. http://www.frontbase.com. They have
ports available for Mac OS X PB, Mac OS X Server, YDL and many other
systems. They also have a PHP4 extension to work with FrontBase in
almost the same identical way PHP4 works with MySQL.