Re: PostgreSQL vs MySQ

Subject: Re: PostgreSQL vs MySQ
From: Brock Gunter-Smith (brockgs@mac.com)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 09:37:33 MDT

on 10/13/00 10:26 AM, Peter J Muhlberger at peterm+@andrew.cmu.edu wrote:

> I heard from one of our local unix gurus that PostgreSQl is less stable
> / more likely to have errors than MySQL, at least for less than heavy
> loads. Anyone have an opinion on that?

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. Every head to head review I've read
has clearly show that PostgreSQL is very stable, if slower than MySQL, and
under EXTREMELY heavy load sometimes PostgreSQL can in fact be more stable
than MySQL

> Also, someone mentioned that MySQL supports replication. Do you mean
> that MySQL can automatically make a duplicate of the data tables
> whenever they change & that Post doesn't?

With PostgreSQL you can have stored functions in the database that get
triggered whenever certain criteria is met (ie data being updated) that
could say trigger a dump to keep a backup of the server up to date. I
believe you can also mirror databases under PostgreSQL...ie write to two
separate but identical physical files. MySQL doesn't support stored
functions, and none of my MySQL books mention that ability to mirror
databases.

...I use a RAID array on all our database servers so backup is done in
hardware to a second physical device and then run dumps of the databases
every other day...so in my experience, I've had no problems with MySQL and
maintaining copies/backups of the database.

-> Brock