Re: proftpd head scratching...

Subject: Re: proftpd head scratching...
From: Gawain Reifsnyder (gawain@guitar.net)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 17:03:51 MDT

At 5:15 PM -0500 on 10/13/00, Jeff wrote:

>What have you tried? Could you send a copy of your proftpd.conf?
>Have you looked at /var/log/secure and /var/log/messages? What do
>they say when you try to get in? What is maxusers set at in the
>proftpd.conf?
>You're right though. This does sound simple enough with more info.

I think this may be the problem... The only thing that's different
with the configuration of the two machines, (other than the fact that
I'm booting with yaboot and not bootX) is that I configured the
machine initially without a hostname. Previously, I gave the other
YDL Mac the domain of my ISP, and it thought its name was
".telalink.net" This caused some other problems however, so I tried
the installation this time leaving the name blank in the installation
configuration dialog.

This machine is behind an IPNetRouter gateway running on another Mac
and thus doesn't have a valid hostname of its own. Thanks for the
heads-up on the /var/log/messages file: Here's a couple relevant
lines from it:

Oct 13 17:52:06 (none) proftpd[581]: _none_ Fatal: unable to
determine IP address of `_none_`.
Oct 13 17:52:06 (none) inetd[418]: pid 580: exit status 1

When attempting to log in, Fetch complains that: "Error: The server
dropped the connection (it may be too busy)"

Sooo... could we be onto something here? Thanks!

Best regards,

Gawain Reifsnyder
Guitar.net, Inc.
http://guitar.net