audio and PPP permissions

Subject: audio and PPP permissions
From: philippe tapon (ptapon@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 18:24:27 MDT

two queries----

1. does anyone know what the state of play on audio is for CS 1.2.1
running on a new world machine? I did add
   alias sound dmasound
to the /etc/conf.modules file, and that improved things somewhat; what's
curious is that I get some audio--the modems handshaking, and some of
the desktop sounds come
through clearly, but other desktop sounds come out as horribly garbled
static, and the CD player doesn't deliver sound (but works fine
otherwise, heh).

2. (slightly off-topic) I'm unable to configure my PPP to be usable
by non-root users. A non-root user can start PPP, and the modems
handshake and everything, but the connection is not available. I've
looked into the PPP-HOW-TO, checked out lame.html and the other
linuxdoc.org books,tried
  chown
  chmod
  setuid
commands to make pppd available to all, played around with LinuxConf,
all to no avail. I think the problem has to do with permissions, and
it's
probably child's play, but i don't know what to change.
Any advice, anyone?

peace

philippe