Re: proftpd head scratching... AARRGH.. not solved.

Subject: Re: proftpd head scratching... AARRGH.. not solved.
From: Gawain Reifsnyder (gawain@guitar.net)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 22:58:27 MDT

>I went into linuxconf and added a secondary DNS server, default
>domain (my ISP's domain) and a search domain (ISP again) to the Name
>Server Specification (DNS) section. Restarted inetd, and there it
>was!

Well, things didn't work out quite as well as I thought they did. I'm
still pretty sure it's a hostname (or lack of a hostname) issue,
(good) but I'm not sure what to tweak. (bad) Here's what I did to get
it working, and why it isn't working now...

By temporarily firing up my other YDL machine (the G3 that *does*
have a working proftp) I logged into it using Fetch. No problem, just
like usual.

The new machine (G4) was shut down at the time.

Here's the tricky part... A "bait and switch." I then start up the
G4, which had been configured with the *same* IP address as the G3,
(but not usually run at the same time) and shut down the G3.

Fetch is still running and thinks it's connected to the G3. I can
then connect to proftp on the G4! Meanwhile I had also been adding
some items to my DNS configuration, which I *thought* had solved the
problem.

As it turns out though, as soon as I shut down the G4 and start it
back up, the failing connection problem returns, so it must have had
something to do with my little "bait and switch" routine. Now I'm
really confused, but still not much closer to getting it working I'm
afraid.

Any clues?

Best regards,

Gawain Reifsnyder